Santa Rosalia is known as the "La Ciudad De Madera" or the
"Wooden City." This association began in 1885 when a French
mining company, El Boleo, acquired a 99-year right to excavate
deposits of copper. They also had the rights to over one million
nearby acres. In exchange, to appease the Mexican government,
El Boleo agreed to build a town, port, and public buildings here.
Of course, they also had to create employment for the Mexican
workers. The French company built wooden houses to create the
town, as per an agreement with the Mexican government.